10.08.2017 - 01.09.2017
It was very disappointing to lose all my NY photos before I got a chance to upload them to my computer. Although I've managed to grab couple here & there from friends.
I stayed with my friend Aisha, who lives in the lower East side of Manhattan, a very busy, vibrant, cool place. Although most of NY is busy. We went out a lot, & it's probably the part of my trip where I spent the most money, but nonetheless it was still a great experience.
On my first night there, we went to Brooklyn to meet Aisha's friend (another Aussie) who worked in a pub. I met this guy who owed a restaurant / bar, & he was saying how the next night they were going to be busy because of the 'summer stroll' (one of the few nights in Summer where restaurants can set up their tables on the street, which is blocked off). So I offered my help & landed a shift for the night - for cash of course.
I managed to check out the sites:
- Ground zero (9/11 memorials)
- Central Park
- Wall street
- Went into Trump Tower
- a night cruise down the Hudson River - past the Statue of Liberty - up the East River (under all the bridges) and back.
- the high walk - this is an elevated walk way that weaves through the tops of the buildings above street level. Heads north to south and ends in the old meat packing district in Chelsea. Very cool
- Rode a lot of city bikes around. In fact it was my main mode of transport.
- Had lunch in 'The Restaurant' - the one they use in Seinfeld (only the outside). Really busy inside & good food too.
- Rode city bikes through Harlem.
- Saw a Yankees game at Yankee stadium in the Bronx. I thought I'd be a bit board, but it's actually all quite entertaining. (Yankees lost that game)
- Went to Time Square. Pretty cool - plenty of tourists & plenty of lights.
- Checked out some really cool some suburbs around Brooklyn, Queens, & Manhattan
- Went down to Coney Island - Brighton beach. Had a 'Nathan's Hot dog' - not as good as everyone raves about. Had a nice swim at the beach...
- Saw some comedy at this little underground comedy club - Louis C K headlined.
I became friends with one of Aisha's friends. Being a musician, he showed me some really cool live music places, & even played at some of the venues himself.